Wednesday, September 10, 2014

9-10-14

Why did I come to SEMO? Well first of all it didn't really matter what university I went to, I was determined to get a college education. Like my father, I was going to attend KSU, you know, follow in his footsteps. However, I kind of wanted to make a name for myself somewhere else. The author describes his dad saying in order for him to keep attending the college at which his dad taught, he was to keep a 3.0. If I went to K-State I'm sure any of the professors my dad had would expect me not to show up (my father wasn't the best of students). I disagree with the excerpt that states "you need a college education or you will not make it in society." This is not necessarily true. My grandfather (albeit he is from a different generation) was able to build a business from the ground up and it is now a thriving business my dad runs back home. This was all without finishing high school! The second article shows more factual evidence about the benefits of getting a college education. First off, there's the salary. Statistics show that a person with a doctorate will make approximately $70,000 more than a person with only a diploma. The unemployment rate is a little shocking though. If you think about it, there are probably 50x more people with only high school diplomas than those with a bachelor's. Yet, the unemployment rate for those with only a diploma is only 2x as high as those with a bachelor's. Those numbers don't add up in my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment